For those who aren’t familiar with Jollof rice and are wondering how a rice dish can pack so much punch, the secret is in how it soaks up so much flavour. You would not imagine that boiling plain rice in the same pot as peppers, tomatoes, spices and meats would create such soft, yet crisp tomato-stained grains, with so much sweetness locked inside them. Another advantage that Jollof rice has over other Ghanaian dishes is that it can be enjoyed with a healthy range of other condiments such as salads, avocado and deep-fried plantains. So if you’re feeling adventurous and trust your culinary skills, why not try out this authentic Ghanaian Jollof rice. Find Jollof Rice Recipe below:
- 3 – 4 cups or 600g basmati rice
- 5 to10 fl.oz olive oil (you may use another type of oil if you choose)
- 2 heaped tbsp tomato puree
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 medium sized onions
- 1 medium sized canned plum tomatoes (or Passata)
- 2 fat cloves of garlic
- A small piece of ginger
- 4 scotch bonnet chilies (reduce if you don’t like it spicy)
- 1 stock cube (either vegetarian or otherwise)
- Dried mixed herbs
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to taste
1. Blend the ginger, garlic, chilies, canned tomatoes and two onions and set aside for later.
2. Heat oil in a non-stick pan and fry the chopped onions till soft and golden brown then add the tomato puree and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the blended tomato and onion mixture from earlier and leave to cook through till the tomato mixture has lost its raw taste and the oil is visible at the top.
4. Add the stock cubes, bay leaf and a sprinkle of the mixed herbs.
5. Leave to simmer for about 3 minutes while you rinse the rice to remove excess starch.
6. When rice is rinsed, add to the sauce stirring it to make sure nothing is sticks to the bottom.
7. Now add 2 cups of water to the rice and sauce mix and stir, add salt to taste and cook till the water is almost evaporated.
8. Now, cover and simmer on a low heat till rice is fully cooked.
9. Your Jollof rice is ready. Serve with fried plantain and a crisp green leaf salad on the side.